Driving to an unknown location can be a bit tricky if you don’t have a GPS unit. Also, if you have the unit and it’s not updated, you can end up in a one-way street as a result of using inefficient routes. Therefore, it’s essential to have an updated GPS Unit.
Garman Nuvi GPS is one of the most reliable GPS units you can find. The unit determines your exact location using satellites. It compares your location to its stored maps in order to determine location or points of interest near you, such as roads, rivers, mountains, stadiums, hospitals, or even restaurants.
However, if your Nuvi GPS device is not updated, it will have an outdated map. When you use an outdated map in the unit, there are high chances that you will not arrive at your preferred location. Therefore, it’s highly essential to update your unit. How do you update a Garmin Nuvi GPS? Here are the details.
Steps for Updating a Garmin Nuvi GPS
- The first step is to switch on your computer and connect to the internet. On the computer browser, go to garmin.com/express.
- You will see two options; Click on ‘Download for Windows’ to install if you have a windows computer. On the other hand, if you have a Mac Computer, select ‘Mac Version’.
- From there, complete the installation by opening the downloaded files and following the installation instructions.
- Start Garmin Express and connect your Garmin Nuvi device to the computer using a USB cable.
- The Garmin Express software will detect the device, and you will be required to enter the email address you used for product registration.
- Click ‘save device’ and then ‘check for updates’.
- Select the updates to install and click ‘Install Now‘.
The Garmin Express software will download and install the updates onto your Nuvi GPS unit. It will take a long time for the installation and updates to complete as map updates are large. Also, if you have a slow internet connection, the process can take much longer time.
Can I Update My Garmin GPS for Free?
Many people who use Garmin GPS units know how essential they are. Updating the unit is a must to ensure that the maps of your unit are updated. Can you update your Garmin GPS for free? The answer to this question is yes. However, it depends on the device you have. Some devices are not eligible for free updates. If your device is not eligible for free updates, you can purchase map updates through Garmin update site.
Garmin GPS units are popular as a result of helping people when driving to unknown locations. With the device, you may not need to have a GPS app on your phone. However, you will have to update the device to calculate accurate and efficient routes to your desired destinations. Therefore, use the above information in case you need to update your Garmin GPS Unit.